Search This Blog

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Homemade Christmas Presents: Woven Rug

Here is a craft project that, when I initially saw it, I thought was going to be quick and easy. I discovered that it was not very quick, and while not difficult, it was not as fun as I had hoped. Still, I think it turned out pretty well.

I didn't take very many pictures along the way, but here is the project right before I started weaving. I cut 4 old bedsheets from the thrift store into 285 strips. Yes. Two hundred eighty-five. I started to dislike this project around strip 45 or so. This project would be much easier with a rotary cutter, or at least a good pair of sewing shears. I just had standard scissors.

I used part of a large cardboard box for my loom support. I cut strips in that about an inch apart, and a couple inches down, and then put my strips in between. For the long part, I used 15 sections, each with 10 strips. For the shorter, weaved part, I used 28 sections, each with 5 strips (I think, if I can do math correctly).
Once everything was weaved, I tied sections of strips to each other and gave the whole thing a trim.

Jonah helped me test it out once it was done. I think it turned out pretty nice, but I don't know that it was worth the effort (or my sanity, or getting little fabric bits all over my living room). What do you think?
I got the idea for this project here, though mine is a bit different.

No comments:

Post a Comment