Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Black Bean & Sausage Soup Recipe

I wish I had a picture for you all, but I didn't realize how big of a hit this soup would be!  I got the inspiration for this recipe here, so go look at that picture if you are a visual menu planner.  Mine looked more or less like that...

Ingredients:
  • 2 (15oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed (or use 2 cups of cooked black beans from dry beans)
  • 2/3 of a 14oz. chicken or pork sausage link, about 9oz. (I got a U-shaped one and used the two longer parts and saved the curve for another time, if that makes sense)
  • 2-3 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 onion, chopped (or a good sprinkle of onion powder)
  • 2-3 cups of broth, depending on how broth-y you like soup (I used pinto bean broth from the last time I cooked pinto beans, and it was hearty and awesome, but any vegetable or chicken broth will do)
  • 1/2 tsp. oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder (all spices are approximations, given that I just kind of dump them on)
  • sprinkle red pepper flakes
Directions:

Put all ingredients in a pot.  Heat to boiling.  Reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes, until carrots start to soften.  Serve each bowl with a dollop of sour cream and/or a bit of shredded cheddar cheese.

This soup would also be good served over rice for an even fuller meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment