Search This Blog

Monday, July 9, 2012

Menu Plan Monday and Easy Chili Recipe

Monday/Tuesday: Slow Cooker Jambalaya, as usual for us, minus the shrimp, adding carrots and cauliflower
Wednesday/Thursday: Mexi Beans and Rice
Friday: Breakfast Sandwiches with Homemade English Muffins
Saturday: Chicken Noodle Soup
Sunday: Hot Ham & Cheese Sandwiches with Homemade Rolls

I've made the rolls before, but this will be my first attempt at making my own English muffins.  I'm going to do a combination of this recipe and baking them instead of skillet frying them, because that seems easier.

I'll also be cooking up a batch of Easy Chili (recipe below) for lunches, and making some cupcakes for my brother's birthday on Friday.  Jonah is super excited to help decorate with "psychos" (sprinkles, and yes, that is what he calls them). 

Easy Chili

Ingredients:
  • 2 cans pinto or kidney beans, OR 2 cups previously cooked dried beans
  • 3 cans tomatoes (stewed, crushed, or diced)
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • salt and pepper
Directions:
Mix everything in a pot.  Feel free to change the amounts of the seasonings to fit your tastes.  I usually just sprinkle and taste as I go.  Simmer on medium-low heat for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until flavors combine and onions are tender.  You can saute the onions first if you prefer them softer.  OR Mix all ingredients in a slow cooker.  Cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.

I'm linking this post up to I'm An Organizing Junkie's Menu Plan Monday as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment