Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pumpkin Granola


I was looking to use up a partial can of pumpkin after making Zucchini Pumpkin Bread last week, and I had read about using pumpkin as part of the "wet" ingredients in making granola.  My friend Sarah suggested this recipe from Finding Joy in My Kitchen, so I went with that, with a few modifications.

Ingredients:
  • 6-1/2 cups oats
  • 1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp. ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Directions:

In large bowl,  mix oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt.  Set aside.  In smaller bowl, mix remaining ingredients.  Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir to coat.  Transfer to two large cookie sheets.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.  Makes about 9 cups of granola. 


Each 1/2 cup serving is about 160 calories, which is not bad for a filling, healthy snack.  I have never done granola with applesauce or pumpkin before (although I have done this Homemade Granola with pumpkin butter), and I really like how it turned out.  Fall is coming, so I expect I will be making this one again.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked the granola. That's definitely one of our favorite varieties. Now I'm just waiting for the deals on pumpkin to start so I can replenish my supply. :)

    ReplyDelete