Search This Blog

Friday, September 14, 2012

Think Outside The Box Challenge: Day 14

Day 14: Peanut Butter Cup Baked Oatmeal.  Dessert for breakfast?  Yes...


When I first thought about doing this challenge, this recipe was one of the first ones to come to mind that I wanted to try.  We got these foil star mini baking pans in our Seminary food donations, of all places, and Jonah thinks they are so much fun.  When I showed him the picture from the recipe, he said, "Cake!", so to top that idea off by baking them in these stars, he was pretty excited for breakfast.


Matthew was excited too.   He didn't care for pictures, though.  He just dug right in.


I wanted to like this.  I really did.  It just wasn't sweet enough for me.  Or maybe I was just expecting it to be sweet, and it wasn't.  There is an optional frosting in the post as well, and I think maybe that might have made it better.  I just didn't want to add the extra calories.  But both boys thought it was amazing, so maybe they just don't need as much sugar as their mama, which is fine by me.

This is definitely a treat breakfast, as each one of these stars is 235 calories (and 1 serving is technically 2 stars).  I tripled the recipe, in case you were wondering.  I didn't have any bananas, so I used some pureed pumpkin instead.  I think bananas would be even better though, because I think that would fit better with chocolate and peanut butter.  Here's the nutrition information breakdown (click to see larger):

I do have one star left, so maybe I'll try to put some frosting on it and see if that helps.  Or maybe I'll just dip it in sugar...(only half joking)...

No comments:

Post a Comment