Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

2014 Word Of The Year: Serve

One of the blogging trends I've noticed over the past few years is to have a word of the year that serves as your overall theme for life.  Those blogs, by the way, are from Sarah Mae (husband), Tsh Oxenreider (risk), Mandi Ehman (live), and Nicole Bennett (perseverance).  And to be honest, I wasn't even thinking about picking a word necessarily, but I realized that one of the things I have been trying to do is to live my life more as a servant. 

I am a helper to my husband, I am a mother to my children, I am a member of my church, I am a steward of all that I have...All of these are roles that I have, and in all of them, I can live a life of service. 

This is not an easy thing to do.  After all, who wants to be a servant? Who wouldn't rather have others take care of them?  And yet, even Jesus was a servant.

When the ten heard about this, they were indignant with the two brothers.  Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. - Matthew 20:24-28 NIV

What better example can I get than that?

My daily life is made up of many little tasks that, often, are repeated over and over.  It is easy to feel like I am making no progress, like there is no point to what I am doing, like everything I do is for other people and I have no time for myself.  Please don't misunderstand - time for myself is important.  But those little things, like changing diapers, cooking dinner, reading the same story again and again, those are important too.  

Lord, help me to be a servant to my family. Help me to be a servant to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment