Search This Blog

Friday, September 26, 2014

Homemade Granola: A Recipe Update

I first posted this recipe way back at the beginning of 2011, and it's time for a few updates.  This is still our family's favorite granola recipe, and I usually make a batch every other week or so.  Since then, I've tweaked the recipe a bit, although the basics are still more or less the same.  

Ingredients:
  • 6 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup nuts (we almost always use almonds, because they're the cheapest)
  • 1/4 cup flaxseed (optional - this was in the original recipe, but we don't usually have it so I usually do without)
  • 1/4 brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon 
  • 1 cup melted liquids* (see  below)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional - I leave this out a lot and can't really tell much of a difference)

*For the liquid part of the recipe, use any two of the following:

  • Melted butter
  • Coconut oil
  • Honey
  • Maple syrup
  • Peanut butter
I usually do about half and half, and it truly is whatever we have at the moment.  Butter and honey is my go-to combination, but the others are also tasty, and each ones gives a slightly different variation on the flavor.

Directions: Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.  In microwave safe dish, melt liquid ingredients together.  Stir into dry ingredients until coated.  Pour onto two cookie sheets, and bake at 300 degrees F for 25-35 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so (once you get to 25 minutes, start checking every 5 minutes so it doesn't burn).


We love this granola and have it with yogurt for breakfast once a week, plus for snacks.  One of my recent favorite ways to eat it is with a handful of craisins and some milk, like cereal.  I think it tastes like Kashi GoLean Berry Crunch, one of my favorite kinds of cereal!  Only, you know, much cheaper...

No comments:

Post a Comment