Search This Blog

Friday, August 28, 2015

Boy Band Nostalgia

Yesterday I watched the Backstreet Boys documentary "Show 'Em What You're Made Of" on Netflix.  They filmed it while recording their 2013 album In A World Like This, although the movie just came out this June.

For those who don't know me as well, I was a Backstreet Boys fangirl in the late 90s/early 2000s.  Loved them.  May have been slightly obsessed with them.  I faintly recall my sister and I convincing my dad to go driving around some random town in Florida looking for Nick Carter's house during our family Disney trip.  (We didn't find it).  Seeing the clips of the concert footage from the Millenium tour and the Black and Blue tour was a walk down memory lane.

I kind of stopped paying attention to them when Kevin left the group and I went to college.  Now I'm kind of bummed I missed their 20 year tour.  I would have enjoyed it.

And honestly?  It's totally different to watch your teen heartthrobs be adults, as an adult.  Definitely enjoyable, but way different than when I just had a crush on Nick Carter.  I was disappointed that the documentary didn't include glimpses of their wives and kids, but I understand that's me just being nosy and they want their privacy.

Between this, finding Nick Carter on Instagram, and reading that there's a wild west/zombie movie in the works with members of Backstreet Boys and N*SYNC, I'm feeling nostalgic for all things boy band.  But the good ones.  Not the current ones (I think every generation does this - my mom had a thing for The Monkees).

I only have their albums through Never Gone, which means I'm a couple behind.  Birthday presents for me, perhaps?  I'm going to go break out my old cds and force my kids to listen to them while I sing along, because I still know all the words.

What musical group were you embarrassingly fond of in your younger days?  Or who do you like now?  Who's on the BSB train with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment