Search This Blog

Thursday, January 14, 2016

How I'm Using My New Planner

I've mentioned my planner a few times before, but here's a peek at what goes on inside.  You know.  The good stuff.
Largely, my planner is where I keep my to do lists for each day.  It also includes appointments or specific events happening on those days that have them, and start dates for tv shows or specials I want to watch, because otherwise I won't remember that they're on.  I don't watch very many, but especially when it has been awhile since something has been on, I don't even think to look for it otherwise.

On the day shown above, I also made a project list because I felt like I had several things going on (I ended up not having as many as I thought, but it felt good to write them down!).  So sometimes I brainstorm in the extra space for projects or blog posts or what have you.

Once something is done, it gets an X.  If I don't get to it, I put a dash next to it and it gets moved to the next day, or just deleted.
I have also been trying something new.  I write down my ONE THING each day.  This is something that I want to do, something that will make me feel better once it's done.  Many days lately it's been to read a chapter in whatever book I'm working on.  A few days ago, it was EXTRA COFFEE!!! (all caps and exclamation points needed, because we were up for 3 hours in the middle of the night).

Most of the time it's something fun for me, because that fills my well.  Occasionally, it's a chore-type thing that has been bothering me, like "take all the cardboard and paper recycling out to the garage" shortly after Christmas, because it was taking over our entryway.  The house felt much cleaner after I did that, and that made me happy.

I've also written down cute things the kids say, so at the end of the year I can go back and read through those as well.  Maybe even someday start a kids' quote book.  Or maybe not...

Aside from my planner, I have a wall calendar that I copy events and appointments onto, and our town's recycling schedule, because I never remember that either.  And I use a notebook for meal planning.  But otherwise, everything is in here.  Now that I'm in the habit of using it during the day, and writing my list for the next day before I go to bed, I'm getting more things done, and I'm not forgetting things (most of the time - I actually did forget Elizabeth's shots appointment until we were done with school for the morning, but luckily they were still able to fit her in a couple hours later).

No comments:

Post a Comment